Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sweet Bilby Dreams




'Sweet Bilby Dreams' Free Motion Machine Embroidery on Cotton. 19.5inches x 17inches. 50cm x 43cm.

This piece came from another visit to Adelaide Zoo when I watched the bilbies in the Nocturnal House. One of bilbies was fast asleep under the heat lamp (pictured above, the lamp makes it appear red which is why I've included another photo of a bilby at the zoo so it's real colour can be seen. Unfortunately it's not a very good photograph). As I watched the sleeping bilby I could see his toes and nose twitching as he dreamed. I wondered what bilbies dream of and the image for this embroidery came to me. Of a little bilby sleeping being watched over and protected by a floating woman trailing the moon, on her dress is the Southern Cross stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment