Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Freyja

This is a very recent watercolour I've done called 'Freyja' inspired by the Norse goddess of love and beauty. She is said to often ride in a chariot pulled by cats, one of which sits on her shoulder. But here, she is also an Australian goddess with a Sulphur Crested Cockatoo sitting in her high mauve hair. Cats and rabbits are feral animals in Australia, they wreck the environment and cats kill native animals and birds. In Australia we have many different people and animals, introduced and indigenious and we're all trying our best to get along and survive. My Freyja is a representation of a wish that it can be done.

I also think that when I was creating this painting I was watching movies like 'Marie Antoinette' and 'The Duchess' and the beautiful fashion and colours were rather inspiring.

1 comment:

  1. oh oh oh your blog is splendid!
    just thought you ought to know!
    keep up the lovely posts x

    ReplyDelete