Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Emus

I've had a few close encounters with emus which inspired me to do the 'Emu Boy' embroidery. The photo above was taken last year on our station when I was walking through the bush with Tiggy and my Dad's dog Nugget. We came through the trees just as an emu family were walking towards us. I kept the dogs behind me and just stood still, and they all came up to check out the strange beings walking in their scrub. They were really curious, I could hear the glug, glug sound they make in their throats. Their curiosity sated they let us walk on until I reached my bicycle and got on and they came running back to have a look at that. Another time I was home and walking with my little brothers and several dogs. We had had a young emu hanging around the house paddock for awhile and he came right up to us on our walk. My brothers were starting to freak out and the dogs were getting ready to pounce but I didn't want anyone to get hurt so I stood up tall and put my hand up like an emu's head. The emu started in shock and sprinted away and we never saw him again. I wonder if he thought I was a strange human creature that had just turned into an emu-like creature before his eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment