Friday, December 18, 2009

The Pelican's Boy


I very recently finished this hand embroidery on painted cotton. I'm planning on showing it for the Fringe Festival. Our group MaccyArtO is having a profile made for us by Itchypod which is a website that promotes local artists. For my part of the profile this piece was photographed. I'll annouce here on my blog when our profile is up online.

This image of the boy with the pelican first came to me awhile ago when I read one of the most beautiful books I've every read called 'the Ghost's Child' by Sonya Hartnett. In it there's a boy called Feather who's happiest when he out among the sea birds as if he is part sea-bird. As I child I also loved Storm Boy by Colin Thiele, it is about a boy and a pelican. I love watching pelicans, they're regal and graceful.

I think this is one of my first pieces with a boy in in because I usually draw magical girls but I felt like I needed to include the boys too.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. This is such a delightful work! Having a short break with the family in Goolwa (the setting for Colin Thiele's Storm Boy, also a favourite childhood story of mine!) and seeing many gorgeous pelicans at the wharf - reminding me of 'The Pelican's Boy'. Looking forward to seeing yours and MaccyArto's work on www.itchypod.com.au

    ReplyDelete