Sunday, March 1, 2009

Bilby Stars

Here is one final post for my first day as a blogger. It's a detail of 'Bilby Stars', the full image is in my first post. I found out recently that bilbies used to be as common as rabbits on our property in my Grandmother's day. They were so common they were considered a pest and there was a bounty on their head! And then the introduced rabbits came and wiped out almost all the bilbies (I believe because they took over their burrows and food). Now there are only bilbies in the wild in small pockets of Australia. In August last year I watched the bilbies in the Nocturnal House at the Adelaide Zoo and were fascinated by these creatures and so I had to do this hand embroidery of one I saw there.

1 comment:

  1. Can I be the first to comment, Miss Frida-Tara?!

    Oh. My. Goodness.

    Your work is absolutely BEAUTIFUL -- I love it all, and I so look forward to following it on your blog. The Hollow Stitches photos are especially breathtaking, and I really love the animal-totem embroideries. They are gentle and vivid and lovely.

    Even though I am a uselessly terrible correspondent, I think of you often-often-often, always fondly, and always sadly, as I wish we were geographically closer.

    Sending much love from the little town on the river and under the mountain,

    Stella
    xxx

    ReplyDelete