Tuesday, March 13, 2012

SALA 2011 Artemis

My theme for SALA 2011 was 'Artemis', I wrote in my Artist's Statement:

Artemis is the Greek Goddess of the Forest, Wild Animals and the Wilderness. She is also a protector of women at all stages of their lives. Diana is the Roman version of her. In a time of turmoil and grief I looked to a strong feminine icon to give me strength. I wanted to paint and stitch images of strong women; who are in touch with their wild and natural side. Women who are survivors, who see hope and light at the end of a dark tunnel. This last year has been extremely difficult and through my art I have been exploring strength, protection, and connection to animals and the Earth. My art has been like a gentle embrace for me to escape to.

I am very excited to show this new body of work in my new studio at Ethos Gallery - Magenta Thread Studio.

The above watercolour is called 'Artemis'.

No comments:

Post a Comment