Thursday, May 26, 2011

Sedna

'Sedna'  15.5 x 11inches   39.5 x 28cm   Left handed drawing and Watercolour  2011

Like learning to hand embroider with my left hand I have also been trying to teach myself how to draw with my left hand, it seems a lot harder. You can't control it as much as you can with your dominant hand. You just have to let it do and draw what it wants. I believe your left hand is more connected to your creative right half of your brain. It has certainly been interesting seeing the very different things I've been drawing with my left hand as opposed to my right. I drew and painted this image completely with my left hand, this no-armed mermaid just appeared, I was not consciously thinking of her previously. I believe she is Sedna, who is the Inuit Goddess of the sea and marine animals. There are many stories about her, the one I know of is where her fingers are cut off and she sinks to the bottom of the sea while her fingers become sea animals like seals and whales, and she becomes their Goddess.

No comments:

Post a Comment