Friday, September 18, 2009

My Koala Heart


I finally finished this piece; it was an experiment that I started back in January. It's acrylic paint on primed canvas with hand embroidery because I wanted to see what it was like hand embroidering on painted canvas instead of the the painted un-primed cotton I usually worked on. I found out I prefer my cotton. Well, you have to try these things... I am rather pleased with the image and expressing the way we are all connected to the earth, the trees and animals.

1 comment:

  1. It's a beautiful image, and I REALLY like the roots/veins, but I should imagine embroidering primed canvas would be tougher than cotton by a fair bit. Dulling on the needle too.

    I've done work on unprimed canvas, and in general it's not bad, especially if you can go between the threads, but I often find it's too easy to pull the fabric threads out of place, and hard to do anything really delicate on it (also looks weird sometimes-like putting a delicate filigree pendant on a thick box-chain -bleh).

    Suggestion? Have you tried french knots on the leafy sections of trees? Might give an interesting texture. Not better, but different. :)

    ReplyDelete